Spring has Sprung @ BETA5 Chocolates
I recently listened to a podcast on chocolates by Dan Pashman and Madre Chocolate's Nat Bletter. They get into the definition of beta 5 and explain that you can tell a chocolate's quality by the sound it makes when you break it — well tempered chocolate will give a crisp snap, retains its glossy finish and won't melt on your fingers as easily. Coincidently, I was invited to BETA5 Chocolate's launch party for their spring collection. Identified as one of North America's Top Ten Chocolatiers, I was over the moon for the opportunity to sample all their seasonal treats and was ready to put what I learned to the test.
'In Bloom' is the new chocolate collection that pay homage to fresh flavours of spring.
- Strawberry Olive Oil: white chocolate, olive oil & vanilla bean ganache with strawberry jelly
- Sparkling Praline: almond, hazelnut & cocoa nib praline blended with 46% milk chocolate & popping candy
- Dark Chocolate - Mint: a ganache of white chocolate & fresh mint paired with a milk & dark chocolate ganache
- Carrot Cake: a roasted carrot caramel paired with spiced walnut & 46% milk chocolate praline
- Almond Lavender: 46% milk chocolate ganache infused with honey & fresh lavender paired with an almond praline
- Rhubarb Oatmeal: a tart rhubarb jelly paired with a toasted oatmeal & white chocolate ganache
The key to choosing the right chocolate is knowing your type. There are three types of chocolate eaters: melters (letting chocolate melt in your mouth), chompers (biting into chocolate), and chomelters (a hybrid of the two). To all my melter friends, I want to recommend the 'Sparkling Praline' - I'd describe it as a party in your mouth.
Ice cream sundaes are always a fantastic option, ice cream sundaes with chocolate everything are even better. BETA5 prepares this childhood favourite with flair; think two scoops of their signature dark chocolate ice cream, topped with chocolate sauce, cocoa nib chantilly, milk and dark chocolate aerated rocks, milk and dark chocolate almonds, and chunks of fresh brownie. Yes. PLEASE!
Other flavours served by the scoop are:
- Rhubarb Vanilla Swirl Ice Cream
- Toasted Oatmeal Ice Cream
- Dark Chocolate Ice Cream
- Strawberry Lavender Sorbet
Moving on from chocolate concoctions, cream puffs are a must at BETA5, it's plural because they're irresistible and you won't be able to leave with just one. They're most likely the reason why I withheld the eclairs till now — and now I'm in trouble because I can not stop thinking about the Strawberry Olive Oil eclair.
Spring 2016 Cream Puffs:
- Almond Lavender: almond mousse / honey lavender whipped ganache / kataifi nest / almond butter chocolate egg
- Milk Chocolate Praline: milk chocolate + hazelnut praline mousse / chocolate financier / milk chocolate + hazelnut whipped ganache
- Strawberry Rhubarb: strawberry mousse / rhubarb compote / vanilla whipped ganache / strawberry-rhubarb pie
Spring 2016 Eclairs:
- Strawberry Olive Oil: olive oil cremeux / strawberry gel / strawberry whipped ganache / olive oil financier / fresh basil
- Dark Chocolate Mint: 66% dark chocolate cremeux / fresh mint cremeux / oreo crumble / aerated chocolate rocks
- Lemon Poppyyseed: lemon curd / lemon poppyseed financier / cream cheese parfait / lemon poppyseed chocolate décor
Whatever your choice, don't miss these freshly baked puffs of joy: a light choux pastry filled with luscious cream filling of the flavour profile your heart desires. BETA5 has got you covered with something floral, refreshing, tart, fruity, or loaded with chocolate. You know what was incredible? Recognizing the high level of love and care behind each pastry. Freshly picked basil leaves and mint to elevate the eclairs? What a nice touch! See for yourself:
A harmony of bold dark chocolate and refreshing mint infused cream.
I grew up eating strawberry flavoured everything, so this really took it home for me.
For my friends who enjoy fruitier flavours, I highly recommend the Strawberry Olive Oil Eclair.
Real talk: BETA5 makes sense for anyone seeking the perfect indulgence, they just know how to make people happy. Biting into one of their treats whether it may be in an eclair, cream puff, chocolate, or ice cream form; will make you want to forget about everything that you should be doing. I would know, I practically attended every BETA5 ice cream social last Summer.
Today, the Spring 2016 collection has Sprung. Try them out and let me know what your favourites are!
Thank you so, so much to Adam & Jess of BETA5 chocolates for inviting me to your Spring launch party. It was truly fascinating to see you and your team in action and I really enjoyed sampling your new Spring confections.